November/December 2014 Gift Guide Issue
Get the FREE app for your tablet and mobile device. Now available in the iTunes Store and the Google Play Store
Also available as a PDF File.
Click for more information about New Worlds or to receive issues via mail.
Spiritual Nature of Numbers
This article was written by David Allen Hulse on May 15, 2002
posted under Numerology
Beyond the visible divinatory interpretations of numerology, pioneer
Madame Blavatsky, in her Secret Doctrine, gives the mystery-language symbols for the first nine numbers.
1. A living, standing being, divine, celestial
2. Imperfect state, fall, branching
3. Mystery, spiritual man, triangle
4. Immortality, physical, matter, animal
5. Disorder, confusion, universe, the five limbs of man
6. Earth asleep during autumn, winter; the world ready to be animated by spirit
7. Earth awake during spring, summer; life eternal; man as spiritual and physical
8. Eternal, spiral motion of cycles
9. Incessant reproduction, multiplication
Aleister Crowley and Paul Foster Case have given a Qabalistic-tarot oriented interpretation of the symbolic use of numbers.
1. The point, spirit
2. The point distinguishable from one other, change
3. The point defined by relation to two others, fertilized idea
4. Matter, solidification
5. Motion (time), storm and stress
6. Self-conscious, center
7. Bliss, degeneration
8. Thoughts, correction of previous error
9. Being, crystallization of energy
1. Beginning, initiative, unity
2. Dualism, reflection, receptivity
3. Multiplication, development, growth
4. order, measurement, classification
5. Mediation, adaption, activity
6. Balance, harmony
7. Rest, safety, security
8. Rhythm, vibration, alternate cycles
9. Completion, attainment, realization
Sepharial and Isidore Kozminsky offer in their writings variations on the meanings modern numerology assigns to the numbers 1 through 9.
1. Manifestation, assertion, positive, active
2. Antithesis, witness, confirmation, dualism
3. Volition, procedure. Penetration
4. Reality, expansion, experience, classification
5. Expansion, comprehensive, judgment, increase
6. Cooperation, marriage, communion, sympathy
7. Completion, duration, stability, perfection
8. Dissolution, revolution, separation, inspiration
9. Regeneration, spirituality, dreaming, mystery
1. Ambition, intention, passion
2. Death, destruction, fatality
3. Destiny, faith, soul, religion
4. Strength, power, wisdom, solidity
5. Marriage, pleasure, happiness, the stars
6. Perfect labor
7. Ideal happiness, freedom, rest, way of life
8. Protection, justice
9. Anxiety, imperfection, grief
The source for all these diverse meanings for the number series of modern numerology is the ancient number lore of the Chinese, Hellenistic and Semitic esoteric traditions. Chinese Taoism allocated a lucky or unlucky quality to the first nine numbers. The Pythagoreans gave us philosophical titles to interpret these same nine numbers, while the Hebrew rabbinical mystics described the Tree of Life as a set of mystical titles for the number series.
Before I met Merlin Stone I was blind. It took her a little time; she gave me a strong dose of love, and from then on I could see—see the world as a feminist, that is. Merlin converted me, so if you haven't yet read her work, be prepared to bring the Goddess into your own life as well.
I'm Lenny Schneir. Shortly after meeting Merlin in 1976,... read this article
Most recent posts:
6 Feet of Snow?? Predicting the Weather with Astrology
Winter hasn't even begun, and already Mother Nature has been pummeling most of the United States with unseasonable cold and early snow storms. As...When Judgement Calls
The Judgement card is a dramatic one, calling us to new life. It is not, as its name implies, about judgement, not exactly. When we hear the call...A Useful Yes/No Spread
Many readers do not care for yes/no questions because they feel they are not useful and are not empowering. However, I have found one that is very...