New Worlds Spring/Summer 2013 Issue
Get the FREE app for your tablet and mobile device. Now available in the iTunes Store and the Google Play Store
Also available as a PDF File.
Click for more information about New Worlds or to receive issues via mail.
Spiritual Nature of Numbers
This article was written by David Allen Hulse on May 15, 2002
posted under Numerology
Beyond the visible divinatory interpretations of numerology, pioneer
Madame Blavatsky, in her Secret Doctrine, gives the mystery-language symbols for the first nine numbers.
1. A living, standing being, divine, celestial
2. Imperfect state, fall, branching
3. Mystery, spiritual man, triangle
4. Immortality, physical, matter, animal
5. Disorder, confusion, universe, the five limbs of man
6. Earth asleep during autumn, winter; the world ready to be animated by spirit
7. Earth awake during spring, summer; life eternal; man as spiritual and physical
8. Eternal, spiral motion of cycles
9. Incessant reproduction, multiplication
Aleister Crowley and Paul Foster Case have given a Qabalistic-tarot oriented interpretation of the symbolic use of numbers.
1. The point, spirit
2. The point distinguishable from one other, change
3. The point defined by relation to two others, fertilized idea
4. Matter, solidification
5. Motion (time), storm and stress
6. Self-conscious, center
7. Bliss, degeneration
8. Thoughts, correction of previous error
9. Being, crystallization of energy
1. Beginning, initiative, unity
2. Dualism, reflection, receptivity
3. Multiplication, development, growth
4. order, measurement, classification
5. Mediation, adaption, activity
6. Balance, harmony
7. Rest, safety, security
8. Rhythm, vibration, alternate cycles
9. Completion, attainment, realization
Sepharial and Isidore Kozminsky offer in their writings variations on the meanings modern numerology assigns to the numbers 1 through 9.
1. Manifestation, assertion, positive, active
2. Antithesis, witness, confirmation, dualism
3. Volition, procedure. Penetration
4. Reality, expansion, experience, classification
5. Expansion, comprehensive, judgment, increase
6. Cooperation, marriage, communion, sympathy
7. Completion, duration, stability, perfection
8. Dissolution, revolution, separation, inspiration
9. Regeneration, spirituality, dreaming, mystery
1. Ambition, intention, passion
2. Death, destruction, fatality
3. Destiny, faith, soul, religion
4. Strength, power, wisdom, solidity
5. Marriage, pleasure, happiness, the stars
6. Perfect labor
7. Ideal happiness, freedom, rest, way of life
8. Protection, justice
9. Anxiety, imperfection, grief
The source for all these diverse meanings for the number series of modern numerology is the ancient number lore of the Chinese, Hellenistic and Semitic esoteric traditions. Chinese Taoism allocated a lucky or unlucky quality to the first nine numbers. The Pythagoreans gave us philosophical titles to interpret these same nine numbers, while the Hebrew rabbinical mystics described the Tree of Life as a set of mystical titles for the number series.
"The soul comes from without into the human body, as into a temporary abode, and it goes out of it anew…it passes into other habitations, for the soul is immortal." - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82)
Have you lived before?
The answer to that question is yes. As a human soul you have lived before; many of us have even experienced many lifetimes... read this article
Most recent posts:
Sedona: A Mystical Place of Wonder
Readers, please enjoy this guest blog post by Douglas de Long, author of Ancient Healing Techniques, Ancient Teachings for Beginners , and the new...The Future of Tarot
Today's post is more of a long, rambling kind of question rather than tips or ideas. It's something I've been thinking about for a long time. As an...On Gematria
One of the most popular and successful aspects of working magick involves what is known as Gematria (pronounced with a hard G as in "good":...