Link to this Article: http://www.llewellyn.com/encyclopedia/article/25047
Botanomancy: Divination with Plants
This article was written by Carl Llewellyn Weschcke on November 30, -0001
posted under Botanomancy
As living things, plants have a stronger connection to human life than most divinatory tools. We will not discuss their visionary properties and uses. Some possibilities include:
- On the day of the full moon, plant the same type of flower seed one each in five small pots. Write five potential answers to your question and attach one to each pot. Treat all five pots the same, and note which plant first germinates for your answer.
- Peel an apple with a silver knife so that the peel comes off in one long unbroken strip. Ask your question and toss the peel over your left shoulder. Observe the shape it takes on the floor behind you. If anything other than an "O" or "U," the answer is positive.
- Take a daisy and as you remove each petal say "yes" or "no." The last petal reveals the answer.
- There is a lot more lore regarding plants, including the famous finding of a lucky four-leaf clover. Seeing certain plants in blossom provide particular messages:
- Holly indicates good luck
- Laurel peace and goodwill
- Myrtle good fortune
- Nettle challenges ahead
- Poppy not good
- Rose for love
- Wisteria your love is faithful
Please note that the use of Llewellyn Encyclopedia articles
is subject to certain Terms and Conditions