Link to this Article: http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/1490
Homemade Herbal Candles
This article was written by Ellen Dugan
posted under Pagan
Herbal Beeswax Candles
Have you ever tried your hand at making your own herbal candles? Just think, specialty herbal candles you can create and imbue with your own positive personal power. Then you would have custom-made magickal supplies right at your fingertips. How cool is that? You can make herbal candles for healing, prosperity, affection, or protection.
There is a simple way to do this, and it wonít require you have wax boiling away on the stove, which can be expensive, messy, and dangerous. You will still need to make a trip to the local arts and crafts supply store, however. Bu the following candle project is a practical, affordable alternative to purchased candles.
Hit the candlemaking aisle, and look for sheets of beeswax and wicks. I have even found beeswax candlemaking kits! You may use colored beeswax sheets or the plain, old-fashioned-looking honey-colored ones. (You may find it helpful to refer to a color/candle-magick guide.) So choose your supplies and ingredients, and letís get started!
Candlemaking Supplies and Directions
- Assorted sheets of beeswax (approximately 16 x 8 inches)
- Wicks (look for lead-free wicks)
- A hair dryer
- Assorted magickal herbs
How to Make Rolled Herbal Candles
- If the beeswax you are working with is rolled, then gently unroll it. (If it is hard, stiff, or might crack while unrolling, then soften it up by warming it with the hair dryer set on low.)
- Lay a piece of wick along one of the short edges of the beeswax sheet. Warm the beeswax up with the hair dryer on the lowest setting.
- Spring the sheet with your chosen magickal herb. Gently press the herbs down into the sheet of wax.
- Finally, carefully roll it up. Your herbs will stay between the layers as you roll the candle (think of a jellyroll type of situation).
- When you have finished rolling all the wax, run the hair dryer over the candle again. This molds the edges together just a bit and softens the bottom so that you can give the candle a nice, flat, smooth surface.
A Charm to Enchant Your Herbal Candles
To enchant your handmade herbal candles, try this quick charm. Hold the herbal candle in your hands, and repeat the following:
Goddess, bless this herb candle made by my own hands,
May it spread enchantment and light across the light.
From Natural Witchery, By Ellen Dugan
Please note that the use of Llewellyn Journal articles
is subject to certain Terms and Conditions