Sasha Graham’s book 365 Tarot Spreads has a spread for every day of the year. She also includes an important historical moment from that day and additional tarot tidbits. The book is both fun and serious.
The spread Sasha designed for today, April 8, is the Wisdom of Swords Spreads. The spread is inspired by the historical fact for this day. On this day in 1692, arrest warrants were issued for Elizabeth Proctor and Sarah Cloyce, accused of witchcraft. While these two women ultimately escaped the gallows, nineteen others similarly accused, did not.
Tarot reflects the spectrum of the human condition. The decision to end someone’s life falls under the darkest aspect of the suit of Swords. Nothing is more destructive than a mind set on bloodlust and violence, and the extreme qualities of any suit can be deadline. Swords, typically the most frightening tarot suit, represent the quality of Air—our minds, thoughts, reasoning, and comprehension. Swords represent our intellectual understanding and what we tell ourselves about the world around us. This spread is based on the typical qualities of the suit of Swords.
The cards are laid out as indicated, in the shape of a knight’s sword.
1. Change: What do I need to change?
2. Power: How can I best exercise my power?
3. Oppression: How do I oppress myself?
4. Courage: How am I strong?
5. Conflict: What is bothering me?
6. Intellectuality: How can I reexamine my current situation?
7. Mind: How do I best expand my mind?
8. Action: What action should I take today?