When Ghosts Follow You Home

This post was written by Amy
on October 19, 2011 | Comments (14)

Thanks to my job, I have been blessed with attending various events. I’ve been to a seance, tried table tipping on a few occasions, spoke to psychics/mystics/tarot readers and walked away in a daze due to the accuracy of what was said, and have gone on a couple ghost investigations. Communicating with the spirit world is fascinating to me, and I am always game for any adventure.

But what happens when the adventure follows you home?

All of the events I’ve attended have been led by professionals and people who know what they are doing. There are ways of protecting yourself when participating in spiritual communications so that spirits don’t harm you in any way, shape, or form.

But there are times when nothing harms you, but you have a sense that something is “there.”

I was invited to a friend’s house to do some table tipping. There was a group of us, all very eager to try this very traditional form of spirit communication. To our dismay, no spirits knocked on the table, but we could definitely feel the energy coursing along the table top.

On my way home, I felt a presence in the car with me. My psychic gifts are rather underdeveloped, but I can sense a presence. My friend who hosted the party lives in a very haunted house, so I wasn’t too surprised that a ghost tagged along. I could feel the spirit follow me as I walked into my apartment. I smiled and said “I don’t mind a tagalong, but I know that Annie is rather attached to her ghosts. You are welcome as long as you do no harm to me or my pets.” I then felt the presence disappear. I got out my white sage bundle and smudged the house just to be on the safe side.

The morning after my first ghost investigation, I was rudely awakened by my cat running around the apartment like something was chasing her. I figured she was chasing a toy and grumped a bit that she had woke me up after a couple hours of sleep. I then heard her panting from exhaustion. I got up, put my glasses on, and saw that she wasn’t playing with a toy. It was like she was being chased by something I couldn’t see. As she was panting, trying to catch her breath (which I’ve never seen her do, and I’ve had her for 11 years), I picked her up. She hid under my arm and was very frightened. As soon as I put her down, she ran into the basement. This isn’t unusual. That’s her hangout, especially in the summer, but she was hiding. This is her typical behavior when guests are over, but it was just me. I would bring her upstairs and she’d howl and run back downstairs and hide. I did this twice and she had the same reaction. I knew something was up.

I took out my white sage bundle and smudged the house. I said that only positive spirits and energies are allowed, and for all negative spirits to please leave. I asked the spirits to not harm me or my cat, and that any spirits that did so were unwelcome and must leave.

About a half hour after I smudged the apartment, my cat came upstairs, hopped on the couch, and snuggled next to me. I was relieved to know that whatever had followed me home was gone and would no longer bother me or my cat.

When you participate in any type of spirit communication or ghost hunting, please take steps to protect yourself before and after the event. Psychic Protection for Beginners by Richard Webster is a fabulous resource for protecting you and your family and house from any psychic or paranormal harm. Magical Housekeeping by Tess Whitehurst does a fabulous job of keeping your house in magical and mystical harmony. The Ghost Hunter’s Survival Guide by Michelle Belanger is an excellent resource for protection when ghost hunting.

So if you feel that a spirit has followed you home, never fear. It may be friendly, but if it bothers you, your family, or your pets, that’s when it’s time to strike back with a smudge stick!

Written By Stephanie Junca
on October 20th, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

My first encounter with a ghost was thankfully a pleasant one but very foolish in my part. I was 16 at the time and just goofing off with my best friend. She told me she found a cemetery the other day and wanted me to come with her to check it out. We drove down there after school and it was hidden off the main road a few hundred feet. It was cold and right after Halloween so we still had the haunting atmosphere about us. We walked around the graves reading the tombstones and being surprised at how long they had been there. Most were from the Civil War era. All of the sudden a strong wind blew through the cemetery and I felt this serene, peacefulness take over me. I became warm somehow in 40 degree weather. My friend was frightened by what I told her I felt and she said we needed to leave immediately. We drove away but that feeling stayed with me for about an hour or so. Afterward I felt fine, I just had that interesting story to tell.

Now 10 years later, I realize that was pretty foolish of both of us. I have a great respect for spirits now and take precautions when I do anything “ghostly.” Nonetheless, whenever I do go on ghost hunts, I still hope to encounter another peaceful ghost like that one day.

Written By Glennda Peterson
on October 20th, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

The first time a ghost had followed me home was when I was about 6. My grandparents had taken me to Disneyland and one of the first attractions we went on was the Haunted House. Now I know you’re saying the ghost there are not real, but to a 6 year old they seemed real. My grandpa kept telling me the rest of the day – and continued on the way home – that one of the ghost had followed me. I don’t know if there was ever a ghost or just an over active imagination, but that fellow stayed with me a long time and some of my fondest childhood memories was spent playing with him.

Written By Alex S.
on October 9th, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

Ok, my friends and I are planning on going to an abandoned mental hospital at night. It’s apparently haunted and when I asked my dad if I could go he said I shouldn’t and that things could follow me home, is this true? If so, what exactly can follow you home? People have died there and I think they never really left

Written By Amy
on October 10th, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

Hi Alex,

Yes, spirits can follow you home, but there are ways to protect yourself. I highly recommend Psychic Protection for Beginners or Practical Protection Magic for learning how to protect yourself.

Whenever I participate in pararnormal activites, I state my intent and respect for the spirits, and I ask that only peaceful and positive energies to participate. When I am done, I thank the spirits for their cooperation and respect and for them not to follow me home. If they do (my cat will run around like she’s being chased; there’s a different energy), I ask for the spirits to leave and I only welcome positive spirits. I smudge the house with sage and that does the trick. Definitely take precautions and protect yourself before going to a haunted location.

Written By Ty
on December 25th, 2012 @ 3:15 am

I go to Mount Saint Mary’s, a very paranormally active school and lived in forms that were over 200 years old last year. On my floor there was a priest who had committed suicide and was very active in the room that he had done away with himself in (shades up and down, toilet flushing, even heard a deep voiced conversation outside the door but couldn’t make out the words). Anyway I jokingly challenged the spirit to scare my roommate one night and woke up with three scratches on each of my shoulders the next morning and had a water bottle thrown at me from across the room later that month. I thought I would be rid of him over that winter break but would have my room in my house door slam on occasion an my dog, much like your cat, was terrified to be in my room. I only found out recently that my sister has nightmares of the spirit when I come home from school. Spirits are not to be trifled with, and if you do, much like the author, exercise caution and bless your home.

Written By Amanda
on June 30th, 2013 @ 11:38 am

Hi I’m 18 from NY and I went to cemetery’s with my friends lately, they mostly got a good experience but I didn’t, the first time it was alright, nothing happened I saw things and it was only 2 other people with me I was super scared. The 2nd time it was more people and I saw more things and again super scared but I couldn’t leave cause of my friends this time there was about 8 people with us, the last time I went was horrible, things scratched my friend and well kept pulling my hair, that’s when I decided not to go anymore and broke down and cried cause I was too scared, and there was about 7 kids. Now my mom asked me if I went again, I said no cause I promised myself I wouldn’t go again, there was a dead frog under my window. And my family is a hard believer in spririts and stuff, I can feel bad energy from my room and sometimes good also, my dog doesn’t like going In there and when we’re sleeping its either I can’t sleep or she wakes me up barking at something when 2 secs ago she was dead asleep. I can feel It also and it’s crazy. And I randomly wake up in the middle of the night around 2-3 and at 3 it’s when they’re more active and I can feel it so can my dog.. What do I do?

Written By Amy
on July 1st, 2013 @ 11:13 am

Hi Amanda,
I would suggest that you ask the negative spirits to leave and that you only allow positive spirits in your home. Get some sage (either in a bundle or in incense) and burn it while asking the negative spirits to leave. We just published a book called Setting Spirits Free by Diana Palm that deals with clearing negative spirits and helping spirits cross over to the other side. There is a lot of great advice of how to release negative spirits and protect your home.

Written By samantha
on July 22nd, 2013 @ 10:49 am

hi i feel and see the presents of other sprits alot and i that they know that i can feel their presents and they try to comunicate with me so i wanna know if i should be responding to them or if i should just ignore?

Written By Destiny
on July 24th, 2013 @ 8:13 pm

I’ve been a little worried lately that something may have followed my boyfriend and I from our old house. We lived in a highly haunted house full of mean spirits who made certain places at certain times of the day or night in the house almost unbearable!! We had six room mates at the time and none of us were ever comfortable with using the upstairs bathroom. A friend of ours once watched this bathroom ghost come out and pace the hallway for a while before stopping in front of the cracked door and, without even looking around the room, he fixed his eye on him. There was even a time that my boyfriend walked into the bathroom and was immediately hit with the worst feeling of his life, his stomach went in knots and he felt panicked as if his life were in danger. As soon as he left the bathroom, this feeling faded.

My boyfriend and I had to go through the bathroom to get into our bedroom and I shudder to think how many times he may have been standing over our bed while we slept. We moved into an apartment after a few months to find that the bathroom there was haunted, while this ghost didnt make us feel oppressed however, he did at times make the bathroom an uncomfortable place to be and knocked the entire dish strainer full of dishes off the counter. I said to this ghost “You can stay here so long as you behave and do no harm or try to scare us or our cat.” he calmed down a little after that.

We moved a couple days ago into a new house with a friend of ours. This house has been owned by his parents for years, he lived here as a child, and has lived here off and on over the years since starting college. It is common knowledge to our friend circle that there is what can only be described as a “Big black orb” that resides here. He is the spirit of an old Native American man which is no surprise considering this house is built on an old native american burial mound. Bones have been found on the premises. He has never attempted to harm or frighten anybody for as long as my room mate has lived here.

Since we moved in, our room mate has brough to our attention that he has been hearing strange noises that he has never heard in this house and I find myself looking over my shoulder often and feeling as if im being watched in a different way than I used to feel when visiting… I fear that the spirit from my old bathroom has been following us…. Im hoping to try some white sage soon, this wont make the native american man go away, will it? He is welcome here, however, other negative spirits are not…. So long as I specify this, he will be okay, right?

Written By Lil girl many ghosts
on August 17th, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

i have a ghost that followed me from my first house and she is in my living room. She is super nice but. There is a girl in my room.and she is mad and she scares me alot!!:(

Written By misty
on September 23rd, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

Hello my name Misty,
I went to a party with a friend over the weekend and when I was taken into the homeowners bedroom of a 1914 built Victorian home in Ga I immediately felt something there while everyone looked at me like I had seen something. I felt every hair on my body stand to attention. So I cautiously back stepped from the room. At no point did I feel threatened or fear. I just felt her presence. On Sunday when I went to bed,after not thinking of it any further,to my disbelief every time I closed my eye Isaw a wwoman in the same room I had been standing in at the party. I saw her hair style her dress and she was in slumped position like sadness. She had been standing in the same spot I had previously felt the presence. I tossed and turned all night only to wake in the middle of the night with my hand frozen like it had been in a cooler of ice. No sleep for me at that point. I don’t feel threatened but I wonder if I’m imagining this or that maybe she followed me home.

Written By Jackie
on March 25th, 2014 @ 2:26 pm

I lived in a haunted house when I was younger for 15 years and then had a near death experience as a toddler, almost drowned in a pool. And of course my parents said I played with the ghosts, my brother had been possessed and had a seizure when he was 2. So we had priests come by to bless the house and they finally were okay with us living there but spooky thing is you never felt alone, they never left the house. Someone was always there. I used to get nightmares of black cats, people dying, people that died in my family all the time. We finally moved out and nothing happened but was always able to dream of people who die in my family. One time I even dreamt that my grandmothers was yelling for help and it was all black, I was scared to touch her. She died the next week and told my family to pray for her because I didn’t think she was in a good place. So now I’m 30 and the other day a ghost followed me from a funeral. Scariest thing ever, they started playing with your lights, shutting doors etc. I finally just grabbed a picture of the friend that died from the funeral and burned it, said a prayer and voila! Gone! I’ve always had a sixth sense for these ghosts but never wanted to see them or hear them so I ignored it. Eventually they disappear from your life when you ignore it, they tend to latch on when your afraid, alone, lonely etc. for some reason.

Written By Dianna Foehrkolb
on May 4th, 2014 @ 4:51 pm

My name is dianna i have always been into scary stuff i thought one day it would be so cool to start going to cemeteries and try to contact the dead so i got an evp and went to my first cemetery it was awesome all kinds of voices came through so i kept doing it after a while bad things started happening first thing i have a little dog named bean well one day she just jumped off the bed and hid under it well i grabbed her out and then i looked there is her eye popped out of her head i rushed her to the vet they saved her eye thank god i didnt think at the time it was a spirit so my dumb ass goes back to the cemetery and i do some more evps well the next day my 2 mice died and they were healthy they we not sick or anything a week after that my boyfriend has a heat attack he is only 35 so now am starting to freak out a bit i think bad spirits followed me home well i havent been ghost hunting in like 2 months and nothing bad has happend since what do you guys think

Written By Jaelynn Berry
on May 30th, 2014 @ 8:07 pm

Hey i DID live in portland maine but i had somthing that was there i knew was there… my mom says i have a connection with that and i have senses.anyway one time i was 4 and my mom was still sleeping with me and she felt something cold brush by her and then pulled her head down. after afew years went by i had feeling in that room bad ones i alway felt that a little girl spirit was trapped and didn’t like anyone in that room. when i was in fourth grade this girl invited me over to her house and well she got out a ouiji bored well we played it then that night when i was home i felt another one it felt like a guy. but when i was in the girls house… i heard something say i am going to get you. i was pretty scared. but now it’s 2014 and i live somewhere else and i think they followed me! Please help!please answer i need some advice! i hate going to bed and knowing something is there! i hate knowing that it followed me! please. thank you bye. PS: i might sound crazy but… im not this is real please thank you goodbye.