Witches Tarot Debut

on June 28, 2012 | Comments (6)

This weekend at INATS (the International New Age Trade Show), we got our first peek at the new Witches Tarot by Ellen Dugan and Mark Evans.

You can get more details HERE

Ellen and Mark have created a beautiful website where you can see all the Majors. Take a look; this is a gorgeous deck packed full of great symbolism.

Ellen and Mark’s website

Written By Lisa Frideborg Lloyd
on June 28th, 2012 @ 9:49 am

I was nodding in agreement with all the Majors until I got to the world card… Dunno why but the Green Man doesn’t work as The World for me. This deck goes on my maybe list.

Written By sarasuperid
on June 28th, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

No thanks for another deck with only white people in the majors, well except for the green man, who is has white features too.

I should not have to make my own deck for this to happen. I should not have to seek out a special interacial deck for this to happen. All new decks put out by Llewellyn that have images of people in them should have people of color in the deck!

Written By Elizabeth T.
on June 29th, 2012 @ 7:24 am

I liked some cards and didn’t care all that much for others, of course. I think the Empress is cool; that’s a great spin on the Emperor; I agree with Lisa Frideborg Lloyd that the Green Man as the World doesn’t work for me. As for Death…um, I’m going to have a hard time using it in a reading without giggling. I can’t look at it without thinking “Ghost Rider.”

Written By Ty Bevington
on June 29th, 2012 @ 8:54 am

I thought the art was breathtaking. It takes a lot to get me excited about a deck anymore…I got so saturated a few years ago that I had to purge myself of so many decks that I just never connected with, but this deck just really seems to engage me. While not every card in a deck is neccessarily a ‘winner’, I felt an immediate connection. Too bad I have to wait until September…

Written By Ellen
on June 29th, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

If I may respond to the last comment by Sarasuperid .

There ARE people of color in this Witches Tarot deck! I designed it that way!

The Lovers card- the angel is in fact Asian, The Justice card is not portrayed as a white woman- she’s got beautiful golden/caramel colored skin…. and curly dark hair with blonde highlights.

Also the Page of Pentacles, the 3 of Pentacles, the Queen of Pentacles, and the Knight of Pentacles are all beautiful people of color.

If you would like to see the Page of Pentacles in detail please visit the Witches Tarot Facebook page. Or my blog at http://www.ellendugan.blogspot.com
To view the entire Major Arcana visit our website at http://www.witchestarot.com

Blessed be, Ellen Dugan

Written By sarasuperid
on July 12th, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

Oh thanks! The images above did not show any of the people of color in the deck. I am super pleased to hear that. And the pictures that are up now show more of those cards. Thanks, I am glad I was wrong about that :)