One of my very favorite things to do is visit Descanso Gardens, an amazing botanical wonderland nestled way out on the edge of Los Angeles where the city gives way to the foothills. For me, it’s not just about ooh-ing and aah-ing at the pure physical beauty of the tulips and camellias (or whatever happens to be in bloom), although that’s part of it. It’s more like a spiritual pilgrimage to visit the wisest sages I know, all of whom are more than generous with their wisdom and healing abilities. The only prerequisite is that I sit quietly, listen, and be open to receive.
How to Talk to a Flower
When I have what I call a “conversation” with a flower (but what might more accurately be called a “session”), I begin by sitting or standing comfortably in close proximity to it. While gazing at the blossom, I consciously relax my body and become aware of my breath, allowing it to naturally deepen. When the time feels right, I might silently ask something of the flower, like, “How can I relieve stress?”, “How can I gain clarity (on a certain situation)?”, or, more frequently, “What wisdom or healing would you like to share?” I ask these questions not simply with silent words, but with my heart and feelings. Then, I continue to relax and gaze at the flower. In time, feelings and thoughts begin to emerge within me, which I identify as communications or responses from the blossom. Perhaps I feel a warmth in my belly or an opening in my heart, or perhaps I see a picture of myself spending more time in nature or drinking less coffee. Sometimes I will bring a notebook along and translate the information into words, so that it’s almost like I’m receiving dictation.
A Tiny Sampling of Flower Wisdom and Healing
In The Magic of Flowers, I relate a lot of the wisdom and magic I’ve received from blossoms, but below you’ll find a brief sampling of some of what they’ve had to share. (Although, of course, you don’t have to take my word for itâ€”the flowers would love to commune with you as well!)
- Iris is a master energy healer. She’s excellent at balancing the subtle energy patterns throughout the body, aura, and chakras.
- Morning glory says, “Relax! You are one with All That Is, so why worry? Why struggle? Why rush? Relax into your true nature, into the arms of the Divine.”
- Cherry plum supports digestion, circulation, and overall energy levels.
- Lantana helps with depression by jump-starting your emotional flow.
- Bleeding heart says, “Don’t fight your old pain and heartache! Relax and breathe into it. Let it be what it is. Send love to it continually until it naturally begins to disperse.”
- Orchid reminds us to express our uniqueness and to know that we are beautiful and elegant exactly as we are.
Our thanks to Tess for her guest post! For more from Tess Whitehurst, read her article “Seven Flower Magic Rituals.”