A Great Loss for the Occult Community: Donald Michael Kraig Passes

on March 18, 2014 | Comments (18)

Donald Michael Kraig

It is with heavy hearts that we sadly mark the passing of Donald Michael Kraig, noted occultist, author, and lecturer. His book Modern Magick has been the world’s most popular step-by-step guide to working real magick for the last two decades, with tens of thousands of individuals and groups using the course as their primary instruction manual. The book has been translated into many languages as well.

Don was diagnosed last fall with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer, and was determined to fight valiantly. Unfortunately, according to a Facebook post from his wife Holly, “the type of cancer he had was just too aggressive for us to do any more treatments and his body finally gave way. He did not suffer. He simply slipped away in his sleep.”

Don’s reach through the magickal community was extensive, spanning friendships with Scott Cunningham, Carl Llewellyn Weschcke, Silver Ravenwolf, Chic & Sandra Tabatha Cicero, Nick Farrell, and countless others.

Don has been an important part of Llewellyn for over 40 years, and has been a tremendous colleague, teacher, mentor, and inspiration to many. Don first started his journey with Llewellyn as an author, when he submitted Modern Magick with encouragement from his then roommate Scott Cunningham. Shortly after he was hired as a writer and moved to St. Paul to work at Llewellyn headquarters.  He eventually became the editor of FATE magazine as well.  Later, he moved back to California but continued on as a writer and editor of New Worlds magazine and as an acquiring editor, where he continued using and sharing his extensive subject-matter knowledge.

Don has touched so many lives and will be dearly missed. We are grateful to his life lived, and for his teachings and words that will continue to live on through his many books. Our thoughts go out to Holly and their friends and families.

For more information on memorial services and how you can contribute, please visit Don’s GoFundMe page.

Written By Melanie Marquis
on March 18th, 2014 @ 4:20 pm

Well said, Anna. Don was a treasure to the world and we will miss him so much! May we remember his joy and carry it on.

Written By samantha sanchez
on March 18th, 2014 @ 5:19 pm

Thank you for such great inspiration to us all.

Written By Deborah Blake
on March 18th, 2014 @ 5:48 pm

He had a very bright light, and the world is a little darker without him. But think how he will shine in the Summerlands…

Written By Kevin Packwood
on March 18th, 2014 @ 6:08 pm

Truely a sad day. I myself just picked up his book modern magick, and am heart-struck to hear the author has left us. May we all remember him joyfully.

Written By Diane Morrison (Sable Aradia)
on March 18th, 2014 @ 8:27 pm

I am sorry to hear it! I respect his work greatly and referenced “Modern Sex Magick” in my new book coming out in the fall. “Modern Magick” was my second book on magick; I did the course in six months at the age of fourteen and never looked back. He will be remembered and missed. My condolences to his loved ones on their loss.

Written By Dave
on March 18th, 2014 @ 9:57 pm

Mr. Kraig was kind enough to respond to several of my e-mails. I wish I could have known him. Rest in Peace Don.

Written By David Ross
on March 18th, 2014 @ 10:25 pm

His books were all well written and taught me much. I live on the east coast but had always hoped to someday take classes with him.

Written By Jeva Singh-Anand
on March 18th, 2014 @ 10:56 pm

I met him briefly several times over a decade ago. He was wise, yet down to earth, very approachable and generous with his knowledge and time. He will be missed.

Written By Holly Allender Kraig
on March 19th, 2014 @ 12:30 am

Thank you, Anna, for writing such a lovely piece about Don. I truly appreciate it, and couldn’t have said it better myself.

Namaste,
Holly Allender Kraig

Written By Kim Renee
on March 19th, 2014 @ 4:53 pm

I was lucky enough to meet Don. What an incredible mind, warm heart and powerful spirit he has. I am so sorry for for all of our loss. For the worlds loss. Mostly for Holly’s loss. Without Don, I would not have the daily rituals and knowledge I have today. Going further with Don’s books, thank you for all the wisdom you’ve imparted. My first book and favorite teacher. I will never ever forget him. Peace, love and blessings to all friends and family

Written By Phil Whiting
on March 19th, 2014 @ 7:12 pm

He helped me and we corresponded both in the early days and more recently. Don was a source of inspiration to many and will be greatly missed

Written By Rene
on March 22nd, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

He was a man who opened the gates to the realm of magic for many beginners in the art, such as myself! See you soon teacher may today, in the astral plane!

Written By Billy Pratt
on March 29th, 2014 @ 8:44 pm

What a loss for the earthbound Magickal community! Mr. Kraig’s book “Modern Magick” has served as the springboard for my structured approach to completing the Great Work. Though we had never met in person and merely corresponded via email once where he graciously answered a couple of questions I had, because of the influence his writings have had on my development it has been for many years now that I have considered him a kind of “literarily remote mentor”.
To Holly Kraig and all those close to him, my deepest sympathies – though you may miss his physical presence you should smile at knowing that he was one of those individuals that unknowingly touched so many lives like mine – rejoice in the knowledge that he must have fulfilled his mission!
Donald Michael Kraig, ‘Requiescat In Pace’ fellow Seeker.

Written By Kelsu
on April 8th, 2014 @ 2:13 pm

Oh, I’m so sad, I just got the news today in a newsletter. I have several of Don’s books and consider him an expert in Magick, he will be missed.

He made so many valuable contributions to the field. Modern Magick will be remembered as one of the best books on the subject.

RIP Donald, and my condolences to his friends and family.

Written By Rubaya Binte Siraj
on May 19th, 2014 @ 11:59 am

Oh I feel so bad. I am almost on the verge of tears and I have only finished ‘Lesson-2′ of his ‘Modern Magick’. I really love his lessons and he was great indeed because he had taught us such good stuff. May his soul rest in peace.

Written By Stefan
on June 17th, 2014 @ 5:05 pm

I personally I’m talking to Don Kraig. Thank you spirit of Don-being of light and love. Thank you for these great moments of reading your book, for your advices, support and help when I needed in my life. The angels are around you great spirit of Don and golden light is shining everywhere. I say to you buy for a while, because your spirit will come again on Earth one day. Thank you my teacher.

In light and love

Written By Raven Belote
on July 15th, 2014 @ 3:45 pm

What a wonderful writer, and person. I’ve enjoyed reading his blog posts here at Llewellyn’s, and also his articles scattered around the Net. I hope Llewellyn will be placing his blog posts in an archive so that all may still be able to read his past blogs.

I wrote only a few messages/comments/questions to him over the years, and although he didn’t know me from the next person, he always responded with a friendly, and kind answer. His presence will be missed.

Blessings… <3