Nostalgia Strikes

on December 10, 2009 | Comments (6)

Like many tarot enthusiasts, I have quite a collection of decks. Most of them don’t get used much, beyond an initial review, some brief study, and a few readings. No matter what decks move through my life, I always have one main deck that I use. This deck has changed over the years, so I think of myself as a serial monogamist.

The World Spirit Tarot was one of my longest and fondest relationships. I adored this deck and still have my beat up old cards and worse-for-the-wear book, signed by artist Lauren O’Leary in 2001.

I am not sure why I move on from one deck to another. And generally speaking, I don’t go back. However, this may be a first. The World Spirit is calling to me. And how could it not? The art is so vibrant and compelling.

One of the great things about this deck is that it features many different types of people. I always fancied myself as the woman in the 2 of Pentacles, especially back in the day when I straightened my hair.

ws2ofpents

As a Capricorn, I enjoy the moment in the 3 of Pentacles—after having worked hard and gotten everything just so and then showing it someone so they can be totally awed.

ws3ofpents

The World Spirit is more than pretty pictures. The 3 of Swords is a particularly intriguing image, with the figure turning away in despair, the “writing on the wall” in the form of the parchment, and that mysterious figure reflected in the mirror around the corner. Don’t you think the use of mirrors in certain tarot cards is extremely interesting? The Lo Scarabeo Tarot’s High Priestess is holding a mirror; I really like that.

ws3ofswords

The 6 of Cups from this deck holds a very special place in my heart…and my office. While working on this deck, Lauren had a baby boy. After the production process (both of the baby and of the deck!), we agreed to a swap. I knit her precious boy a sweater and she gave me a hand-printed and hand-colored print of this card.

ws6ofcups

Written By Joanna Powell Colbert
on December 10th, 2009 @ 10:22 am

World Spirit was my favorite deck for years, too! I love her quirky sense of humor. And I thought the booklet was quite decent. Hmm . . . is this deck a favorite among Capricorns? ;-)

Written By Teresa Michelsen
on December 10th, 2009 @ 11:11 am

I love this deck. When I started working on a new book recently, it stood up and demanded to be used :) I love all it’s little touches, like the mouse with the golden halo in the 4 of Cups. They make you think more deeply about the meanings.

Written By Submerina
on December 10th, 2009 @ 6:56 pm

It’s funny how my deck wishlist has changed and adapted as I’ve actually started reading the tarot, as opposed to merely admiring from the sidelines. Decks I used to think I’d love, I now recognise as merely “art” decks (for me), and decks I never gave a second glance – like the World Spirit – now fill me with envy and a great longing to read with them. The images shout out to me now! Thank you for sharing some of your favourite cards (your similarity to the 2 of Pents is uncanny!); it helped me get a better feel for the deck.

Written By Barbara Moore
on December 11th, 2009 @ 9:04 am

Joanna, I had not thought of that…you may be right :-)

Teresa, I’m so glad this deck is getting used and appreciated.

Submerina, You are welcome. I love sharing. Card images seem to look so lovely on a monitor, don’t they?

Maybe that is one reason this deck is liked by Capricorns…it is very wonderful art AND the deck is very readable. Beauty and practicality. Two of my favorite things. :-)

Written By Joanne
on December 11th, 2009 @ 9:07 am

This is one of the decks on my wish list this year for Christmas. I’m hoping to find it under the tree soon.
;-) Nice blog post!

Written By Shell
on December 11th, 2009 @ 2:00 pm

I like World Spirit. I appreciate the fact that it’s has people of all shades, colors and sizes in the deck. One of my favorite cards in the deck is the the nine of pentacles.