Pregnant Pauses

on July 26, 2010 | Comments (12)

Readers, please enjoy this guest blog post by Corrine Kenner, author of Tarot for Writers, Simple Fortunetelling with Tarot Cards, Tall Dark Stranger, and Crystals for Beginners.

“Am I pregnant?” “Will I have children?” “Should I have another baby?” During their twenties and thirties, most women think about babies—even if it’s just in passing—and pregnancy-related questions come up during a lot of tarot readings.

Here are the cards I look for when women are looking for the stork:

• The Empress—perpetually pregnant and beaming with pleasure—is almost always a sign that pregnancy is in the cards.
  • The Fool is another card that illustrates the creation of new life. On one level, it suggests a leap of faith—which is a prerequisite to parenting. On another level, the card depicts a soul descending from heaven to the world of physical form below.
  • Likewise, the Magician card can symbolize the process of transforming spirit into matter, while the Chariot could be an unborn soul traveling toward its destination. It’s surprising how often women will tell me that they can sense an unborn child’s approach shortly before they get pregnant.
  • The four Aces all represent the possibility of pregnancy.
    • The Ace of Cups is a womb-like symbol that suggests a peaceful, planned pregnancy—or a conception that occurs after a few glasses of wine.
    • The Ace of Wands is powerful masculine energy that can also lead to pregnancy. It’s obviously phallic, and it symbolizes creativity and drive.
    • Because swords often suggest a doctor’s needle or a surgeon’s knife, the Ace of Swords can represent a pregnancy made possible by medical intervention, such as supplemental hormones or in vitro fertilization.
    • And the Ace of Pentacles shows a new life already underway, because it looks like a seed that’s been planted.
    • Any cards that show children, such as the Six of Cups, can indicate pregnancy and motherhood. The four pages, for example, are children. The Page of Wands and the Page of Swords are boys; the Page of Cups and the Page of Pentacles are girls.
    • And on a related note, the four queens are maternal figures.
      • The Queen of Cups slips naturally and easily into motherhood.
      • The Queen of Pentacles probably has a child already.
      • The Queen of Wands finds the prospect invigorating and exciting.
      • And the Queen of Swords understands the loss that can be associated with parenthood—but that’s a different discussion. In a pregnancy reading, I’ll usually just describe her as a symbol of wisdom.

Sadly, the Three of Swords often reveals a miscarriage—and when it falls on the table during a reading, it’s usually because the woman sitting on the other side has already lost a pregnancy. Sometimes, the Three of Swords can even confirm a woman’s suspicions that she had a miscarriage in the early days or weeks of a pregnancy. In either case, the Three of Swords acknowledges that loss, and it can actually offer a statistical reassurance that the next pregnancy will be successful.

Our thanks to Corrine Kenner for her guest post! For more from Corrine, visit her author page for a full list of her books and articles.

Written By shannon
on July 27th, 2010 @ 6:31 pm

Great post. This is why I love Corrine Kenner books. She gives tips and hints. Things to look for to help bring it all together. I knew the Empress might signal pregnancy but the Fool. Wow

Written By Nathara
on August 1st, 2010 @ 10:07 pm

Wow, thank you so much for the article! This adds a whole new dimension to some of these cards for me. Normally I groan when I hear this question coming, but now I’ll be looking forward to them!

Written By honeychild
on February 21st, 2011 @ 10:57 am

Thanks so much for this post! I’ve been researching tarot meanings as they pertain to pregnancy readings and I haven’t come across a more a more insightful list. Especially thank you for your interpretations…instead of just these cards mean pregnancy 1.2.3…

I did want to ask what you thought of the Hierophant card in this context. I’ve been seeing this card a lot in my readings (to see if I am or will soon be pregnant). Do you think maybe menstrual cycle…aka. not pregnant?

Also, the Hanged Man…He kind of looks like a baby…hanging upside down.?

Also, I’ve been getting the Judgement card ALOT in these readings. Any ideas what this may indicate?

I am pretty new to tarot, so any guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again for all your insight!!!

Written By Bluetiful
on December 25th, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

I believe The Sun as well!

Recently I have gotten two pages (cups and swords) and The Fool in between for a client, and I just got a sense of feeling that it’s a baby!!!! I did a clarifying reading and The Sun and another page (pentacles) came up..9 of cups too

Written By line
on August 10th, 2012 @ 9:00 am

I recently had the fool card in one my tarot readings given to me, and I have been looking all over to see what this tarot card means. and I ran into this site, thanks so much. I’ve been off birth control for almost 3 years and yes i’m in a committed relationship. so hopefully it’s a baby :)), fingers crossed.. I doubt it, i’m turning 24 in October and still no child. So maybe it means a new beginning for me who knows.

Written By Sarah J
on October 3rd, 2012 @ 1:51 pm

I will state as i had to include, during my second pregnancy i was shown the high priestess and this predicted a girl! Low and behold i had a girl!! xx

Written By Tasha
on January 28th, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

I asked if im pregnant and I got death, page of coins, then the world. Please can anyone interpret for me??

Written By Shawn Tassone, MD
on January 28th, 2013 @ 1:48 pm

Really great post. It would have been helpful to have seen this while writing my upcoming Llewellyn book “Spiritual Pregnancy”. Your comments rang true on so many levels and I love how the tarot has been superimposed over pregnancy.

Written By Liz
on June 8th, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

I once did a reading for myself which didn’t make sense, and I thought that it sounded like it was about a pregnancy, because a older sister was pregnant- the Judgement card kept popping up to indicate her pregnancy, which was in my reading. When I asked about her progression that same sitting the 3 cards I pulled were page of wands, 8 of wands, and ace of swords. I took this as baby- fast- medical. I called her then and there but got no answer. 2 days later I found she had gone into labour early and given birth that day I did that reading. 8 of wands is always something already in motion for me. Ace of swords doesn’t have to mean c-section or even episiotomy. It simply meant she gave birth in a hospital. Ordinarily I read the ace of swords as new ideas or thoughts, a new way of thinking.

Written By Angelia Davidson
on July 23rd, 2013 @ 1:30 pm

Hi there, im around 9-11 dpo and i have been experiencing some possibly pregnant symptoms then i decided to do a celtic cross reading just for fun to see if i am(been having heartburn, nausea, a headache the other day but better-ish now that I am on a better diet)
But this reading I got seemed pretty promising or not(im not sure, new to tarot :( )
1:Ace of Pentacles
2:Ace of Cups
3:2 of cups
4:10 of pentacles
5:Queen of Cups
6:Empress (the near future card :P )
7:10 of cups

Pregnancy
Ace pentacles
Page pentacles

Baby /birth exc
Temperance
10 of cups

Can someone give a diff opinion on timing and these combos
I’m kinda confused…