Here in the United States, Labor Day has passed. The first Monday in September, Labor Day is the “unofficial” end of summer: your kids head back to school (if they have not already done so), you’ve most likely taken one “last hurrah” vacation of the summer, and your white linen pants are tucked safely into the back of the closet for next year. Which means you’re probably not reading this post on a mobile device at the beach, but rather at your desk at work.
Since the majority of us are back to work in the Northern Hemisphere, and we have a long stretch of weeks before the next round of paid holidays, that means we need to be focusing on our careers and those with whom we work. But what about that person who always seems to be cranky, every day? Or do you worry about how to avoid the office gossip? Astrology can give us many insights into our friends and family, and indeed even our co-workers. By understanding their astrology, you can better manage your work relationshipsâ€”and your career.
The Fire Signs:
- Aries: Aries co-workers often need a push in the right direction, but once you encourage them to get their idea off the ground, there is no stopping them. Also, if they fail to follow through on a project (most likely leaving it in the hands of a water or earth sign), it’s only because they have already moved on to something else, and they are likely just as happy letting someone finish a project they have conceptualized.
- Leo: These individuals can make every day a party, so working with a Leo often brings excitement and fun. That said, they may be fun, but no one’s having fun when a Leo steals your idea for his own (but the Lion may do it so gracefully you may think it was his idea to begin with). Leos value loyalty from their peers, and are most comfortable when they believe that they are right.
- Sagittarius: Sagittarians work well alone, but they do need some extent of social interaction. They are rarely without a solution to any problem, though the Sagittarius co-worker may have a different idea of what a “deadline” construes than you do. These individuals tend to get bored with the day-to-day routine, but are good with business trips and necessary office travel.
The Earth Signs:
- Taurus: Taurus co-workers thrive on stability and schedule within the workplaceâ€”don’t mess with their calendar! Also, a Taurus requires a certain amount of autonomy, and you can expect them to be riled by micromanagement.
- Virgo: Don’t present any work that is less than perfect to your fastidious Virgo co-worker. Virgos need a lot of independence, but also a lot of approval; a pat on the back goes a long way with these individuals. Being ruled by Mercury, Virgos are great in positions that put them in the middle of communication.
- Capricorn: Your Capricorn co-worker is likely the first in the office in the morning and last to leave at night; they embody their careers. Beware, there is also very little give and take when working with a Capricorn. Ruled by Saturn, these individuals won’t stop until they feel they’ve truly earned something.
The Air Signs:
- Gemini: Also ruled by Mercury, a Gemini would do well in a workplace focused on communication and speed. They often want to see their ideas come to fruition immediately. These individuals pick up new skills quickly, and are capable of teaching themselves new skills. Beware, however, how quickly a Gemini co-worker can turn from friend to foe (and back to friend again) in certain situations.
- Libra: Libra employees play well with others, being great team members and listeners. True to their nature, a Libran will see both sides of all issues, and in meetings will often play Devil’s advocate. Be careful not to overload your Libra co-worker with workplace grievances; just because they will listen doesn’t necessarily mean they agreeâ€”or want to hear about it.
- Aquarius: Aquarians, as fixed air signs, are always curious about trying something new. Often these individuals will share concern over any perceived inequities within the workplace, rather than focus on their own wants and needs. Aquarius co-workers may try to bring new ideas, such as alternative health seminars, to the workplace.
The Water Signs:
- Cancer: Your Cancer co-worker is highly concerned with their own job security, regardless of the field in which you work. These individuals can seem snooty or even stand-offish, but know that this is simply their shyness. Once they come out of their shell, you will see a different side of them. Cancer co-workers are also empathetic and loyal, and, as Sally Cragin puts it in The Astrological Elements, will “offer tissues, aspirin, and a cup of hot tea, and then make one for themselves to keep you company.”
- Scorpio: Scorpio workers can be happy in just about any field, from psychoanalysis to surgery to supervising a bar. These co-workers are often fueled by Pluto’s intensity.
- Pisces: Pisces are generally adept at fitting into just about any working environment and culture. These individuals may seem to know all the ins and outs of the office, even how to get in trouble without getting caught. Beware, though, that while they may look like they are up to something, they are probably still on track (or even finished) with their work before goofing off. These co-workers may seem a bit eccentric, but they are indeed humorous and charming.