July/August 2014 Issue
Get the FREE app for your tablet and mobile device. Now available in the iTunes Store and the Google Play Store
Also available as a PDF File.
Click for more information about New Worlds or to receive issues via mail.
How to Create a Cosmic Energy Rune Set
This article was written by Karen Glasgow
posted under Crafts
All energies form an interconnecting matrix that embodies the entirety of the universal One. The cyclic movement of stars, planets, suns, and moons create a cascading interplay of cause and effect potential that has been observed and analyzed since the most ancient of our ancestors looked to the sky.
From those early observations of the naked eye to the modern technology that continually demonstrates the infinite and ever mutable character of our universe, we continue to honor this matrix of Oneness through astrological guidance, magical and devotional rite and divination.
The tools that we create for these actions often function as points of focus and intent as we draw in or invoke energy, as oracles that speak to our universal minds, and as bridges that connect the thoughtforms of intent in the higher planes with the desired manifestations in our earthly planes.
The tools that can be made in this pattern are runes of the cosmic energies. While these crocheted runes bear twelve of the most observed and documented energies, you are not limited to the confines of these chosen symbols or to the listed messages that I’ve associated with each of the energies. As you work with each symbol, you blend your conscious (studied) and subconscious (inherent) attributes with the traits of each rune. This blending creates (depending on your intention) a living magical essence that is attuned to you and your intent and/or a divinatory oracle that speaks the language of your unique heart and soul.
To make these runes, you will need:
You can refine the materials list to include choices in thread colors and in herbs, oils, and gemstones (that you can mix with or include with the cotton ball batting) to enhance your desired purposes or the traits of the particular cosmic energies.
- A size 7 steel crochet hook
- Size 10 crochet thread in the main color and in a complimentary color
- Large eye needle
- Cotton balls
- Optional fabric glue (to further secure the thread ends)
If you choose, you can review the crochet pattern, so during the construction of each rune, you can direct your focus more to your intent instead of being concerned about the next step of the pattern. The stitches that you will need to be familiar with are; chain (ch), single crochet (sc), single crochet increase (sc inc), single crochet decrease (sc dec) , slip stitch (slp st) and half double crochet (hdc). As you begin each rune,
focus the energy with these or similar words, “ By hook and by thread I focus - state intent- into thee, Enriched by my desires, embedded by my stitches, so mote it be.”
The following pattern makes the approximately 1 1/4 inch oval shape body for each rune. Make 2 bodies for each rune that you want to create.
Row 1 - Begin the pattern with a ch 6. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. (5 sc) Ch 1, turn.
Row 2 - Sc inc in first sc, work 1 sc in each of next 3 sc, Sc inc in last sc. ( 7 sc) Ch 1, turn.
Row 3 - Sc inc in first sc, work 1 sc in each of next 5 sc, Sc inc in last sc. (9 sc) Ch 1, turn.
Row 4 - Sc inc in first sc, work 1 sc in each of next 7 sc, Sc inc in last sc (11 sc) Ch 1, turn
Rows 5 - 10 - Sc in each sc across (11 sc) Ch 1, turn
Row 11 - Sc dec (through first 2 sc) Sc in each of next 7 sc, Sc dec (through last 2 sc) (9 sc) Ch 1, turn.
Row 12 - Sc dec (through first 2 sc) Sc in each of next 5 sc, Sc dec (through last 2 sc) (7 sc) Ch 1, turn.
Row 13 - Sc dec (through first 2 sc) Sc in each of next 3 sc, Sc dec (through last 2 sc) (5 sc) cut and fasten off thread.
With the thread of the complimentary color, and utilizing the graph, stitch the symbols on one side of each of the rune bodies. While I have included some very basic cosmic messages with this pattern, allow your conscious knowledge and subconscious intuition to guide you to more profound meanings as you focus on the energy of each rune.
To complete the runes, hold the two body pieces together with right sides facing out. With complimentary color, join thread to top right corner. Ch 1 and sc in same corner stitch. Work sc in each sc to the corner and work one sc in the corner. ( Since we want the corners to be rounded, no extra stitches are worked into the corners) Work 11 sc down the side, and 1 sc in the corner. Work 3 sc across the bottom and 1 sc in the corner. Stuff the rune before stitching the last side. Work 11 sc up the last side to corner and slp st into beginning sc.
Skip the st to the left of the corner and work 5 hdc in the next (center) sc. Skip next sc, slp st in corner. Slp st along side to corner. Slp st in corner sc, skip next sc, work 5 hdc in next (center) sc, skip next sc, slp st into corner. Slp st down last side to corner and join to top of beginning slp st with slp st. Cut and fasten thread. Weave in all ends.
When unbalanced, the energies of Mercury can lock you into concrete and confining thought and reality construction—the information, communication or knowledge may be intentionally deceptive in the forms of untruths or may be unintentionally misrepresented by your misinterpretation of the facts.
- Governs the intellect and logical reasoning and communication
- Processes data posed to the senses
- Oversees the labeling and filing of data in a “make sense” logical order
- Governs study and conversion of knowledge to wisdom
- Acts as the gateway to expand the abstraction of wisdom by expanding the abstraction of the labels.
An imbalance of Venus energies can bring a narcissistic, materialistic, and overly possessive tendencies—the feeling that “what you have isn’t good enough”—and loss of meaningful relationships and friendships.
- Governs harmony and love of self, of others, and the ability to appreciate and allow harmony and love into your life
- The balanced energies of Venus balances desires and values produces a serene self acceptance and contentment with the reality of your life.
Unbalanced flow can produce an overly materialistic attitude or the opposite of being so “stuck in your head” that you can’t manifest in the physical realm, a constant struggle for even the basic needs of life.
- Is our realm of manifestation and bears these energies of your ability to survive and thrive as you manifest on your planet
- Growth and nourishment of yourself and others
- "Being comfortable in your body”
- Respect for your body vessels and your right to be here.
Unbalanced energies turn assertion into aggression; the inability to muster action from thought turns to resentment and “sour grapes” attitudes, which promote a cycle of victimization and physical inflammation and infection.
- Has the focusing energy that turns thought into action and promotes the courage, ambition, and physical vigor to get the job done
- The ability to assertively express needs and desires
The imbalance of Jupiter brings an unrealistic over confidence and tendency to follow an “untoward” path of laziness, scattered energy, self absorption, and unmet financial needs.
- heralds the opening of opportunity and your ability to recognize opportunity
- Love, joy, trust, and confidence
- money and generosity
- ability to connect with “something bigger than yourself”
Unbalanced Saturn energies bring about resentment, bitterness, and depression, and situations where you are lacking discipline and focus, easily frustrated, and not learning life’s lessons.
- Creates form (physical and societal form and structure, including government and big business)
- Grants the precision, discipline, and intensity needed to meet a goal
- Grants access to wisdom during or as a result of intense situations
Energy imbalances of Uranus can cause the feeling of being trapped, tense, and nervous, and we may be more accident prone as our concentration may be scattered.
- Releases the structured and confining expectations that are placed upon us by others or by societal structure
- Helps us discover who we are and what we want
- Aids in recognizing our “oneness” with the universe and the insight of the universal consciousness
- Innovation and “out of the box” problem solving
An imbalance of Neptune’s energies bring self deception and delusion and their associated poor choices: addictive or self abusive habits and the deceptive rationalization of those habits.
- Associated with the dream or trance state
- Dissolving the boundaries and limitations of the physical world and of overly concrete thinking
- Contact with writer, artist, or musician energy.
Unbalanced Pluto energy can cause paranoia, stagnation, and a refusal to clearly see “yourself” and any unwarranted fears.
- Is the energy of dissolution
- The death of the old to create the new
- The shadow work that resolves the unseen issues
- Working with the underworld.
Unbalanced moon energy equates to self deception and delusion of “remaining in the dark” (particularly of a psychic nature), as well as extreme passivity and victimization
- The healing, peaceful, feminine energy of growth and fruition
- Psychic awakening and perception
The imbalance of solar energy leads to workaholic behavior, aggression, and stubborn attitudes and actions.
- Success, work, power, and health
- Continuation and fortitude
The blank rune:
The unbalanced energies of the universal divine occurs when you give up your right of free will and “blame your actions on the forces of the universe.” Not heeding the universal guidance.
- One of the Universal Divine
- Represents your connection with your Divine Self and the Universe
- Seek answers through meditation and prayer- connection with the higher realms
If there is one thing that our recognized “Oneness” with the universe teaches us; it is that nothing is ever “completely complete.” We are a progression of discoveries on both the inner and the outer planes. The use of the cosmic runes can help in the focus of these discoveries. Discoveries that can lead us on a path of insight and awareness.
Please note that the use of Llewellyn Journal articles
is subject to certain Terms and Conditions
In western ceremonial magick, there is often a tendency to view a magickal operation as something that is at odds with the natural order of the universe. This is very much the core of the western mindset, where nature is something external to oneself to be "conquered." Human individuality and the Will of the magician are thought to be somehow... read this article
Most recent posts:
Treatment Vs. Self-Medication
Readers, please enjoy this guest blog post by Jean-Louis de Biasi, author of Secrets and Practices of the Freemasons, The Divine Arcana of the Aurum...Cards of Endings
In tarot, many cards seem to share meanings, or at least aspects of meanings. For beginners this can be frustrating.
One way I encourage people to...Llewellyn Titles Win 2014 COVR Awards
The annual COVR (Coalition of Visionary Retailers) awards were announced this weekend at INATS in Denver. Two Llewellyn titles won 2014 COVR Awards,...