May/June 2016 Issue
Get the FREE app for your tablet and mobile device. Now available in the iTunes Store and the Google Play Store
Also available as a PDF File.
Click for more information about New Worlds or to receive issues via mail.
The Cards of the Tarot
This article was written by Llewellyn
posted under Tarot
The watery suit of Cups represents emotional life. Cups are intuitive and receptive. In Cups, we find our true feelings about friends, family, and home life. The water signs of Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces are at home
with the Cups.
- Ace of Cups: New love, overflowing emotion
- Two of Cups: Attraction, commitment
- Three of Cups: Friendship, celebration
- Four of Cups: Disenchantment, boredom
- Five of Cups: Sorrow, loss
- Six of Cups: Nostalgia
- Seven of Cups: Choices, daydreams, illusions
- Eight of Cups: Seeking, quests, crusades
- Nine of Cups: Pleasure, drunkenness
- Ten of Cups: Contentment, perfect happiness
- Page of Cups: Considers emotional concepts
- Knight of Cups: Delivers emotional messages
- Queen of Cups: Channels emotional energy
- King of Cups: Generates emotional energy
The airy suit of Swords represents intellectual life. Swords cut through the ideas, problems, and challenges we face each day. Swords also represent how and what we communicate. Air signs Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius are at home with the Swords.
- Ace of Swords: Inspiration, clarity
- Two of Swords: Difficult decisions, restored peace
- Three of Swords: Heartache, sorrow
- Four of Swords: Rest, recuperation
- Five of Swords: Defeat, poor sportsmanship
- Six of Swords: Travel by water, solace
- Seven of Swords: Dishonesty, thievery, betrayal
- Eight of Swords: Restrictions, cruelty, victimhood
- Nine of Swords: Despair, insomnia, nightmares
- Ten of Swords: Overkill, ruin, martyrdom
- Page of Swords: Considers intellectual concepts
- Knight of Swords: Delivers intellectual messages
- Queen of Swords: Channels intellectual energy
- King of Swords: Generates intellectual energy
The earthy suit of Pentacles is the physical world—what we can touch and manifest in our lives. Pentacles aren't strictly tangible—they represent treasures of the spirit. The signs Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn are at home with the Pentacles.
- Ace of Pentacles: Material foundation
- Two of Pentacles: Balance, juggling of resources
- Three of Pentacles: Artistic/spiritual mastery
- Four of Pentacles: Miserliness, stinginess, isolation
- Five of Pentacles: Poverty, loss
- Six of Pentacles: Charity, generosity
- Seven of Pentacles: Waiting for harvest
- Eight of Pentacles: Apprenticeship, industry
- Nine of Pentacles: Comfort, abundance
- Ten of Pentacles: Wealth
- Page of Pentacles: Considers material concepts
- Knight of Pentacles: Delivers material messages
- Queen of Pentacles: Channels material energy
- King of Pentacles: Generates material energy
The fiery suit of Wands represents spirit and energy, inspiration, and creative force. Wands are active, dynamic, and bold. In Wands, we discover how we work, act, and live. The fire signs of Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius are at home with the Wands.
- Ace of Wands: Creativity, enterprise, potency
- Two of Wands: Planning, preparation
- Three of Wands: Opportunity, stronghold
- Four of Wands: Prosperity, partnerships
- Five of Wands: Challenges, scuffles, strife
- Six of Wands: Victory, conquest
- Seven of Wands: Defiance, defense, valor
- Eight of Wands: Communication, travel, speed
- Nine of Wands: Resilience, resistance
- Ten of Wands: Burden, overwork, oppression
- Page of Wands: Considers spiritual concepts
- Knight of Wands: Delivers spiritual messages
- Queen of Wands: Channels spiritual energy
- King of Wands: Generates spiritual energy
From Llewellyn's 2001 Tarot Calendar. For more Llewellyn tarot decks and books, click here.
Please note that the use of Llewellyn Journal articles
is subject to certain Terms and Conditions
Sensitive people have gotten a bum rap. We live in a world that doesn't embrace the values of sensitivity, so we get told that we are weak, unusual, touchy, and hard to please. The sad truth is that we hear these messages in many ways throughout our lives. Even if it is from a well-meaning teacher or parent who tries to "toughen us up," the crux... read this article
Most recent posts:
Are You a Sensitive Empath?
Readers, please enjoy this guest blog post by Dr. Kyra Mesich, author of the new Strength of Sensitivity.
I've dedicated my holistic psychology...The Cards as Living Entities
In just a few months (August, to be precise), Llewellyn’s Complete Book of Tarot by the knowledgeable experienced, and delightful writer Anthony...Magickal Scavenger Hunts
Readers, please enjoy this guest blog post by Melanie Marquis, author of A Witch's World of Magick, The Witch's Bag of Tricks, the forthcoming Modern...