May/June 2016 Issue
Get the FREE app for your tablet and mobile device. Now available in the iTunes Store and the Google Play Store
Also available as a PDF File.
Click for more information about New Worlds or to receive issues via mail.
Fortunetelling With Playing Cards
This article was written by Richard Webster
posted under Divination & Fortunetelling
For many years, I did close-up magic every Sunday at the leading hotel in my city. I enjoyed going from table to table, making jokes and interacting with the guests. However, there was one problem. Whenever I produced a deck of cards, people would ask me for a reading. Invariably, they would rather receive a card reading than see a trick in which the four aces miraculously appeared. I am not sure if they intuited my interest in divination, or if every close-up magician experiences this. Of course, once I read the cards at one table, the guests at the other tables also wanted a reading. In fact, the card readings were much more popular than the magic ever was.
The management were surprised that card reading was more popular than the magic, but I wasn’t. Card readers have been in demand for hundreds of years, and the popularity of this form of divination has never diminished. Fortunately, the basics of card reading are easy to learn, and your skills will develop every time you give a reading.
The Suits of a Deck of Cards
The deck of cards has four suits: hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades. Each of these represents an area of life. The hearts represent love, romance, friendship, and close relationships. The diamonds represent business and money matters. The clubs represent creativity, energy, hard work, and reward. The spades represent change, unexpected happenings, warnings, and the unknown.
We can add this information to some basic numerology to determine the meanings of each card:
- One (the ace) relates to independence, attainment, and new starts.
- Two relates to co-operation, tact, and diplomacy. It is also intuitive, caring, and kind.
- Three relates to self-expression and communication. It is lighthearted, frivolous, and enjoys life.
- Four relates to hard work, discipline, and system and order. It is serious and rigid in outlook.
- Five relates to freedom and variety. It does not want to be hemmed in and craves excitement.
- Six relates to home and family matters. It is hard-working, loyal, loving, and responsible.
- Seven relates to analysis, wisdom, spirituality, and learning. It has a unique, unconventional approach.
- Eight relates to money, finance, and large-scale undertakings. It is stubborn, single-minded, and determined.
- Nine relates to humanitarianism. It is selfless and enjoys serving and giving to others.
- Ten is a more mature version of number one. It represents new beginnings, but is less brash than a one.
- The Jack represents a young person of either sex. He or she is naïve, eager, and keen to learn about the ways of the world.
- The Queen represents a strong woman who is close to the person receiving the reading. If this is a woman, the queen could represent her. In a man’s reading, this card represents the dominant female influence in his life.
- The King represents a mature man who has influence and can offer good advice. It can sometimes represent a man who is receiving a reading. The king can also be a strong male influence in the life of a woman receiving the reading.
Now you can combine these to determine the meaning of every card. The three of hearts, for instance, means communication (the three) about love or friendship (hearts). The seven of clubs means learning (seven) about some form of creativity, in which there will be a reward (clubs). However, it could also mean an unconventional approach to hard work. You always need to think about the interpretation, as the correct meaning depends on the client’s situation at the time.
You can now give readings based on what you have learned. The simplest reading of all is to ask a question and then pull out one card from the deck. This should answer the question. Two more cards can be selected at random if the first does not give a complete answer.
A Method of Reading
Would you like to know what influences will be around you during the next three months? Mix the cards thoroughly, and then deal three cards in a row in front of you. The card on the left side represents the current month, the center card represents next month, and the right-hand card depicts the month after that. Suppose you chose the eight of diamonds, the queen of hearts, and the ten of spades. This means that you will be involved in financial matters in the first month. You will have dealings with a strong woman who will offer advice on love or friendship in the following month. The final month reveals an unexpected new start, which could involve change. It is an indication to proceed cautiously.
Can you see how useful it can be to have this information ahead of time? You can use your card-reading skills to help yourself, and others. Like everything worthwhile, it takes practice, but the results can be amazing.
Richard Webster was born and raised in New Zealand. He has been interested in the psychic world since he was nine years old. As a teenager, he became involved in hypnotism and later became a professional stage hypnotist. After school, he worked in the... Read more
Please note that the use of Llewellyn Journal articles
is subject to certain Terms and Conditions
In the practice of crystal magic, few would argue about the importance of quartz. Since it's one of the most abundant minerals on earth, and it can be found in so many varieties, there's bound to be some confusion when distinguishing among the different types. Fire Quartz is a prime example of this difficulty. It is a reddish-orange quartz, but... read this article
Most recent posts:
Letting Go of Fear
Christine Jette’s wonderful book, Tarot for the Healing Heart, teaches how to use tarot for issues of health and healing on all levels. For so...How Much Should You Meditate?
Readers, please enjoy this guest blog post by Doron Hanoch, author of the new Yoga Lifestyle.
How much should you meditate? All the time!...Llewellyn's 2016 Tarot Catalog Is Here!
We are proud to bring our readers our sixth annual tarot catalog! Discover the newest in tarot offerings from Llewellyn, Lo Scarabeo, and Blue Angel,...