July/August 2016 Issue
Get the FREE app for your tablet and mobile device. Now available in the iTunes Store and the Google Play Store
Also available as a PDF File.
Click for more information about New Worlds or to receive issues via mail.
Homemade Herbal Candles
This article was written by Ellen Dugan
posted under Pagan
|Herbal Beeswax Candles|
Have you ever tried your hand at making your own herbal candles? Just think, specialty herbal candles you can create and imbue with your own positive personal power. Then you would have custom-made magickal supplies right at your fingertips. How cool is that? You can make herbal candles for healing, prosperity, affection, or protection.
There is a simple way to do this, and it won’t require you have wax boiling away on the stove, which can be expensive, messy, and dangerous. You will still need to make a trip to the local arts and crafts supply store, however. Bu the following candle project is a practical, affordable alternative to purchased candles.
Hit the candlemaking aisle, and look for sheets of beeswax and wicks. I have even found beeswax candlemaking kits! You may use colored beeswax sheets or the plain, old-fashioned-looking honey-colored ones. (You may find it helpful to refer to a color/candle-magick guide.) So choose your supplies and ingredients, and let’s get started!
Candlemaking Supplies and Directions
- Assorted sheets of beeswax (approximately 16 x 8 inches)
- Wicks (look for lead-free wicks)
- A hair dryer
- Assorted magickal herbs
How to Make Rolled Herbal Candles
- If the beeswax you are working with is rolled, then gently unroll it. (If it is hard, stiff, or might crack while unrolling, then soften it up by warming it with the hair dryer set on low.)
- Lay a piece of wick along one of the short edges of the beeswax sheet. Warm the beeswax up with the hair dryer on the lowest setting.
- Spring the sheet with your chosen magickal herb. Gently press the herbs down into the sheet of wax.
- Finally, carefully roll it up. Your herbs will stay between the layers as you roll the candle (think of a jellyroll type of situation).
- When you have finished rolling all the wax, run the hair dryer over the candle again. This molds the edges together just a bit and softens the bottom so that you can give the candle a nice, flat, smooth surface.
A Charm to Enchant Your Herbal Candles
To enchant your handmade herbal candles, try this quick charm. Hold the herbal candle in your hands, and repeat the following:
Goddess, bless this herb candle made by my own hands,
May it spread enchantment and light across the light.
From Natural Witchery, By Ellen Dugan
Ellen Dugan is the award-winning author of fifteen books, and is known as the "Garden Witch". A psychic-clairvoyant, she has been a practicing Witch for over thirty years. Well known for her candor and humor, she is a Master Gardener, and is the High... Read more
Please note that the use of Llewellyn Journal articles
is subject to certain Terms and Conditions
"She is indeed more splendid than the sun, she outshines all the constellations; compared with light, she takes first place, for light must yield to night…" —The Book of Wisdom 7:29-30
When we speak of the darkness of our nature we immediately turn our mind towards the shadow of our being—that is, all those emotional states... read this article